Sunday, February 28, 2010

[CNG] Digest Number 1911

Messages In This Digest (3 Messages)

Messages

1.

Article with Comments: Why Employers Reject Over-Qualified Candidate

Posted by: "Eric Nilsson" ericnilsson@earthlink.net   eric_s_nilsson

Sat Feb 27, 2010 9:28 am (PST)



I would also add that "time and chance happeneth to them all" (Ecclesiastes,
chapter 9, verse 11), that employers may have three qualified candidates who
are of equal "weight", and the selection from that point may be subjective.
This would occur when numerous qualified applicants apply for a job. The
employer will often look at the applicant felt to be the "best fit", not
necessarily the most-qualified candidate.

Eric

_____

Why Employers Reject Over-Qualified Candidates

Hiring is Not Always Merit-Based

By William Tapscott

You would expect hiring to be merit-based in the workplace, but frequently
employers reject over-qualified candidates. Why is that? I am not going to
claim that rejecting top candidates for a job always makes sense, but
clearly employers have reasons for the things they do. Here are three
reasons why they reject over-qualified candidates:

Reasons Employers Reject Over-Qualified Candidates #1: Salary. In a
merit-based world, the more qualified an employee is, the more he/she
deserves to be paid. When employers are hiring for a position, though, they
do not want to pick the most expensive employee. They want to choose an
employee who will perform well and be happy with the salary offered. It can
be risky, therefore, for an employer to hire someone with excess
qualifications. The over-qualified job candidate would likely say, "If I
were not happy with the salary level, I would not have apply for the job."
That might be true today, but a few years down the road there is a good
chance that the over-qualified employee will start to feel like he/she
should get a pay raise.

Reasons Employers Reject Over-Qualified Candidates #2: Job Security. Highly
qualified job candidates are sometimes perceived as a threat to those who
make hiring decisions. The risk is that if you hire a superstar, he/she
might someday replace you. For this reason, those who make hiring decisions
have a bias toward hiring people who are no better qualified than they are.
That bias is clearly not in the best interest of the hiring organization
(i.e., it is not purely merit-based), but people often act in their own best
interest rather than that of the organization for which they work.

Reasons Employers Reject Over-Qualified Candidates #3: Perceived Arrogance.
If you have an impressive resume, you might expect that to impress potential
employers, and it does. But it also can appear arrogant. When a prospective
employer meets with a top candidate, the interviewer might expect that
candidate to be arrogant because the candidate's qualifications would
justify a little arrogance. If the candidate does anything that could
possibly be construed as arrogant, the interviewer will give it that
construction. Arrogance is the sort of negative personality trait that can
outweigh your merit-based qualifications and prevent you from landing a job.

I am not advocating the practice of minimizing the qualifications you put on
your resume. Clearly, though, when you interview for a position for which
you are an over-qualified candidate, you need to understand that there are
potential pitfalls, that hiring is not always merit-based, and that an
employer who rejects you might not be rejecting you on the basis of your
qualifications.

URL:
http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/2712883/why_employers_reject_overqu
alified.html?cat=31

2.

Article: Don't Speak to Strangers! is This How You View Networking?

Posted by: "Eric Nilsson" ericnilsson@earthlink.net   eric_s_nilsson

Sat Feb 27, 2010 9:29 am (PST)




Don't Speak to Strangers! is This How You View Networking?

By Redy2Assist

Do not speak to strangers! No doubt you heard this mentioned by your parents
several times when you were a child. It is sound advice, and has protected
many children from calamity. Now you are older, and you recall that familiar
warning message about speaking to strangers. You know it still makes sense
to listen to this advice because there are a lot of strangers out there that
are up to no good; so you keep your guard up. You feel protected and you are
doing just fine. Wait, the company that you loyally worked with for 10 years
has just laid you off and a Career Coach is telling you to network and speak
to strangers. But wait, my parents told me not to speak to strangers, is
this person out of their mind?

When I was downsized, I took advantage of receiving career advice from an
outplacement firm, which was provided by my former employer. They reviewed
my Résumé, and helped me to create a job search marketing plan. They also
encouraged me to network with friends, family, and former coworkers.

Then they told me to join networking groups. I heard them, but did not
listen right away. I only contacted people I knew, about finding work. I
then realized, most of the people I knew did not know about any available
jobs, or were in danger of being downsized as well. Then I started to think,
how will I benefit from only networking with people I know?

Unemployed people can network and help each other.

The outplacement company encouraged me to reach out to other people who were
unemployed. I wondered, how in the world can unemployed people help me? At
the time that did not make sense to me. Then they explained that unemployed
people are good to network with because they might have worked for a company
that I am interested in, and I could get information from them. Just because
they are no longer working for that company, does not mean they no longer
have network contacts there. Now it all made sense. Light bulb on!

I contacted a few people who were also listed with the outplacement company,
some responded to me and others totally ignored me. I really did not know
what I was doing, or how to network at the time; so I totally understand. To
improve my networking skills, I read articles, and went to local networking
events. It really helped me to overcome my fear of networking with
strangers.

Some of the people you might meet when you network with strangers and join
networking groups.

I networked with a Project Manager who was also out of work, and now this
person is a Vice President of a well known company (we still keep in touch).
One gentleman that I networked with was very helpful. He gave me tons of
useful information, and great advice. He is now a very high ranking person
at a Global Company. He was the person that first introduced me to LinkedIn
and I connected with him as soon as I joined. I also joined former
employer's alumni groups to reconnect with former co-workers. Then I
branched out and started to join other job search and networking groups on
LinkedIn.

All the people that I met were very supportive. Collaborating with them has
really helped me further improve my networking skills and enabled me to hone
my strengths in ways which I might not have thought of myself. I truly
appreciate all I have learned and try to give back by helping others.

I have met many people who were once strangers to me. They have been very
helpful in my career transition, and I would not have met them if I only
networked with people I knew.

Are you ready to take your job search to the next level? Network
<http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/2696933/reasons_to_keep_networking
_even_if.html?cat=3> everywhere you go and meet new people (be cautious and
safe while doing so). You never know, your dream job might be right in your
professional network of strangers.

More resources

*
http://www.ehow.com/how_5885219_stay-positive-reinvent-yourself-unemployed.h
tml
*
http://www.ehow.com/how_5992104_show-appreciation-social-networking.html
*
http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/2697001/keep_searching_and_networki
ng_dont.html?cat=42

URL:
http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/2722541/dont_speak_to_strangers_is_
this_how.html?cat=31

3.

Programmers / Developers - From Marty Latman

Posted by: "Marty Latman" baconml@nac.net   martylatman

Sat Feb 27, 2010 10:45 am (PST)



Marty,

I am working at a major NYC Investment Bank. I am looking to grow a team to support the firm's infrastructure enhancements that I am coordinating.

I have the need for some programming / developer resources meeting the following requirements.

Technical Skills

* Experience developing trading operation enhancements using XML, SQL, VBA, TIBCO, and Java.
* Calypso and OPICS experience a plus.
* Fixed Income trading process control development experience ( i.e.
reconciliation automation).
* Knowledge of the fixed income, money market, futures, and Fx trading markets.

Soft Skills

* Works independently with limited day-to-day direction.
* Solution minded offering creative ideas that go beyond the base requirements.
* Adaptable to many concurrent development initiatives.
* Comfortable interacting with operations and business analysts to deliver required enhancements in a very high pressure environment.
* Outstanding verbal and written communication ability.

Will pay a day rate commensurate with the experience and value add.

I need some well qualified referrals. I am NOT a recruiter but the hiring manager. Thanks for your help.
Please have candidates contact me at : robertftravers@yahoo.com

Thanks.
Rob Travers

Recent Activity
Visit Your Group
Yahoo! Finance

It's Now Personal

Guides, news,

advice & more.

New web site?

Drive traffic now.

Get your business

on Yahoo! search.

Y! Messenger

All together now

Host a free online

conference on IM.

Need to Reply?

Click one of the "Reply" links to respond to a specific message in the Daily Digest.

Create New Topic | Visit Your Group on the Web
Put your Career Networking Group network to work ...
Join the CNG LinkedIn Group.
[Link is on the CNG Yahoo! Group home page.]

No comments:

Post a Comment

Twitter / newyorkitjobs

Twitter / NYC_Tech_Jobs

Followers

Blog Archive